Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hair texture- drastic change in midlife- people of color, anyone experienced?

I am a 44 yr old woman of African descent. About 6 months ago I cut my waist-long, all-natural, 21 yr old dreadlocks. I was surprised to find the texture of my hair completely changed. Before it was VERY thick, coarse, and nappy (I don't consider "nappy" a pejorative term, as "nap" actually refers to the texture of a rich, heavy fabric like velvet). But after being cut it was very soft and curly. I thought maybe it was a temporary thing, but 6 months later it's still the same. I cut my dreads because my hair was thinning due to medications, %26amp; they were all about to break off anyway. My question- have any other POC experienced a dramatic change in hair texture like this? Is this something that sometimes happens with the natural aging process? with perimenopause? Or are the meds to blame (interferon %26amp; ribavirin)? I don't think it's due to the long time wearing dreadlocks because I've noticed a similar change in my body hair. It's a mystery!



Hair texture- drastic change in midlife- people of color, anyone experienced?

It could be both. My mother's hair texture has changed with age. It's softer but not any thinner so when she goes to get her twa cut she has to let them know before they attack!!!!



Hair texture- drastic change in midlife- people of color, anyone experienced?

Well my mom's hair got really different when she was about 40 too. It got a whole lot softer so maybe it is something that happens with age. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment